If buying a Muskoka Lakes cottage is in your plans Congratulations!
You are embarking on a very exciting and rewarding event, sure to bring you many years of fun and memory making! Before you begin looking at Muskoka Lakes cottages for sale there are several important considerations to make. Spend some time thinking about the following points and you will ultimately save time and frustration by focusing on properties best suited to your needs.
HOW WILL YOU USE YOUR COTTAGE?
Are you a boater? Then access to deep water off your dock, or proximity to one of the many great marinas in the area will be important. Do you need a boathouse? Many cottages will be so equipped, saving you time, money and possible restrictions on building new. Consider the size of the lake as well. Choosing a property on one of the large lakes (Muskoka, Rosseau or Joseph) will give you access to all three from the water. Nothing compares to the amazing scenery and clean waters of these lakes.
- Are you a boater? Then access to deep water off your dock, or proximity to one of the many great marinas in the area will be important. Do you need a boathouse? Many cottages will be so equipped, saving you time, money and possible restrictions on building new. Consider the size of the lake as well. Choosing a property on one of the large lakes (Muskoka, Rosseau or Joseph) will give you access to all three from the water. Nothing compares to the amazing scenery and clean waters of these lakes.
- Are you looking for a quiet retreat? Perhaps you envision sitting on your dock with a cool drink, surrounded by nature with few neighbors. Consider one of the hundreds of “small lakes” populating Muskoka and enjoy the serenity. Excellent fishing, swimming, canoeing and nature walks can be enjoyed on a smaller lake.. without the business of the big three! You may also enjoy a somewhat lower sale price depending on location.
- Will children be enjoying the property with you? What about elderly family members? Then you will want to consider a safe, gradual entry to the water and a level lot. Many properties will offer a sand beach where children can safely play with supervision. Older kids of all ages will enjoy having a separate “Bunkie” where they can play and sleep.. offering Mom and Dad some well-deserved time to themselves.
- Will you be entertaining at your cottage? Consider how many people you will need to accommodate overnight. Many Muskoka Lakes cottages for sale are designed with this in mind and offer several bedrooms, lofts, and external guest cottages.. sometimes incorporated into a suite over the boathouse! Proximity to shopping and restaurants will be appreciated by your guests as well.
- Will you be using your cottage all seasons? Perhaps the biggest consideration is whether your cottage property has access by public road, private road, unauthorized roads across private property or Crown land, or by the use of launch ramps or marinas for properties with water access only. Many three season cottages can be heated on the shoulder seasons with wood fireplaces, electric baseboard heaters etc.. but if you’d like to visit throughout the year then you will want to choose a heated and insulated dwelling on a municipally maintained road. Muskoka offers lots to do in the winter including snowmobiling, ice fishing, cross country skiing or hiking.
- Do you intend to work from the cottage? Many buyers assume that cellphone service, internet service, land-line telephone service, cable television, garbage and snow removal, natural gas and other subdivision staples will be available at a cottage. In fact, these services are location dependent. You will want to explore the services available at any property before venturing out to view it.
- How far are you willing to drive to your cottage? Will you be enjoying it primarily on the weekends or will you have time for extended stays? Muskoka offers a large area of beautiful properties to choose from. You can arrive in 1½ hours to areas surrounding Gravenhurst or travel 2-2 ½ hours to Huntsville or Parry Sound areas.
- Is your financing pre-approved? Like any real estate purchase, if you require financing it is crucial to have a commitment in place with your lender. Once you know what you can afford you can shop with confidence and be prepared when you locate the perfect property.
Taking the time to determine what your needs are in a cottage prior to starting your search will help you narrow the offerings, ultimately saving you time and frustration and possible disappointment. Communicating these points to your Realtor will ensure you will be looking only at properties suitable for you when you together search for your ideal Muskoka Lakes cottage for sale!